There are many people who are prescribed to undergo angioplasty treatment by their physicians. They may not have an idea of what angioplasty is all about and what does the treatment entail.
It is called PTA (prcutaneous transluminal angioplasty) and balloon angioplasty. It is considered to be an endovascular, minimally invasive procedure to help widen up obstructed or narrowed veins or arteries present. This is to provide treatment for arterial atherosclerosis. The deflated balloon gets attached to the catheter and passed over the guide wire into the narrowed vessel. Then it is inflated to the fixed size. Blood vessel along with surrounding muscular wall expands due to the force applied to the balloon, thus allowing the improved flow of blood. While ballooning, the stent could be inserted to ensure opening of the vessels. Then the balloon is deflated and withdrawn. All types of vascular interventions are said to be included in angioplasty, which is performed percutaneously.
Angioplasty treatment cost in India is quite low and the very best quality treatment is offered.
- Coronary angioplasty: It is considered to be a therapeutic procedure for treating narrowed (stenotic) coronary heart artery found with coronary heart disease. Such stenotic segments are caused because of cholesterol-laden plaque build-up caused by atherosclerosis. Percutaneous coronary intervention gets performed first. Chest pain is reduced by PCI with coronary artery disease. However, the risk of myocardial infarction, death, and other significant cardiovascular event is not reduced when optimal medical therapy is added.
- Peripheral angioplasty: It refers to using the balloon for opening up blood vessel outside coronary arteries. This is typically performed for treating atherosclerotic narrowing’s present in the leg, abdomen and renal arteries due to peripheral artery disease. Peripheral angioplasty is often used along with atherectomy, peripheral stenting, and guide wire.
- Carotid angioplasty: Carotid stenting is a procedure which helps to treat carotid artery stenosis through angioplasty. This is meant for patients suffering from carotid endarterectomy and is at high risk.
- Renal artery angioplasty: If the renal artery is caused by Atherosclerotic obstruction, then with angioplasty it is possible to treat it without or with rental artery stenting. Renal function loss or hypertension may be faced due to renal artery stenosis.
- Venous angioplasty: Subclavian vein stenosis that is caused due to thoracic outlet syndrome can be treated with angioplasty.
Access vessel is required by angioplasty, typically the radial or femoral artery, or femoral vein for getting access to the vascular system for the catheters and wires used. In case, no access vessel of the right quality or size is available, then angioplasty is said to be contraindicated. The presence of occlusion, posterior calcification, bypass origin or hematoma and small vessel diameter could make access difficult to the vascular system.
Patients are generally monitored overnight after angioplasty within the hospital setting. With angioplasty cost in India, the number of patients visiting the country for getting this treatment is increasing at a fast pace. If no complications are found, then the patients are sent back home the next day.