Laser eye surgery is nowadays a common medical procedure. However, one needs to prepare before surgery and then give your body time to recover post-surgery.
Many people choose laser eye surgery to enhance their vision. It helps people to prepare thoroughly before the procedure to put your mind at ease, and also ascertain speedy recovery later. Here are five tips for getting eye surgery done efficiently with proper preparation.
- Determine Your Eligibility for the Procedure
Talk to a good eye doctor in your locality to know if you are eligible to have laser eye surgery for better vision. Your candidacy for the surgery is dependent on your age, medical health, eye health, habits, and lifestyle.
- Choose an Experienced Eye Surgeon for the Procedure
To get the eye surgery done efficiently, it is important to choose an eye surgeon you can trust owing to their experience in handling similar procedures. Choose a good hospital that is affordable, experienced, and efficient in getting surgeries done often.
- Choose Glasses instead of Contact Lenses
Since contact lenses are known to alter the shape of the cornea, avoid wearing them for a while. Use glasses instead so that your cornea can adjust to its normal shape. The eye surgeon can take measurements of your eyes for the surgery without any problem now.
Do not wear lenses for at least three weeks before surgery especially if you are using hard lenses.
- Skip Makeup before surgery
To prevent possible infections, clean your eyes and face as much as possible. For best results, do not use creams or lotions for a couple of days before the surgery.
- Get Someone with you to Drive Home after Surgery
The eye surgery could be for 30 minutes, but it is important to be comfortable and relaxed during the procedure. After the surgery, you might feel the effect of anaesthetics and your vision could be blurred for some time. Get someone to take you home after the surgery is done.
Tips to Recover after Eye Surgery
- Wear goggles or eye shields after surgery when sleeping so that you do not touch your eyes inadvertently during nights.
- Don’t rub your eyes especially during the first week after your laser eye surgery.
- Use the prescribed drops as advised by your doctor.
- Wash hands frequently and keep them away from touching your face in your routine, especially after applying eye drops. This reduces infection risk in any way.
- Do not strain your eyes for some days after the surgery. Take proper sleep to let your eyes heal
- Try to stick to clean environments only and avoid smoky and dusty environments. Your eyes should not be exposed to chemical vapours from printing shops, darkrooms, labs etc.
- Since your eyes will be sensitive to light post-eye surgery, it is important that you avoid sunlight for some days. Wear sunglasses when going outside as well as indoors to prevent any strain.
- Do not participate in contact sports for at least a month after the laser eye surgery, and refrain from swimming for at least two weeks.
- Avoid wearing any eye makeup whatsoever after surgery or it might lead to unwanted infections
- Even if your vision is blurry for the first few days, post laser eye surgery, or you feel a halo around illuminated backgrounds, this phase is not permanent.
- Get the best treatment for your eyes without compromise. With proper care after the surgery, every patient can enjoy all benefits of the eye surgery for a long time to come. Every act of care of the eyes after the surgery will help your vision even further.